'

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Meghan, estas en tu casa.

This was one of the first things Charito, my Peruvian mom, said to me.
"Meghan, you're in your house."
She continues to remind that her house, is my house too.

When I shared with Charo that I had decided to come home, she said that she would miss me, and then she said, "Pero recuerda, esta casa es tuya tambien." But remember, this house is yours too. She continued to tell me I could spend come back to my house and my family whenever I want - spend the night or to spend a year.

I realized today that you all have never seen pictures of my family.



Here they are - This is my mom, Charito, and my sister, Pia
These are the Gorditos, Gonzalo and Pia
I also have more family from Peru that I need to share with you.

This is my sister, Ariela and her mother. My parents are sponsoring her through the Acercandonos program, and I got to meet her for the first time on Wednesday.



When I shared with her that we were "hermanitas" (sisters) she started laughing. She probably couldn't imagine that she was a sister to such a tall, white redhead. While we were talking, she put her hands over her face, and it was difficult to understand what she was saying.
I asked her, "Ariela, why do you have your hands over your face?"
"Because," she answered, "I don't want you to see me cry."
"Are you sad?" I asked.
"No," she answered, "I have so much happiness inside that it's pushing tears out."

And, yesterday Tais, the daughter of Lurdes, one of my friends in the office, asked me if I would be the Godmother of her confirmation. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of her to share with you all just yet, but I wanted to tell you a little about her. Tais is getting ready to be 16 years old, and she is in secondary school. Despite numerous set backs and challenges in her life, she continues to work hard towards a better future. She hopes to be a lawyer some day. I enjoy Tais because she laughs easily and she listens to the people around her. She's a unique teenager, and I am very proud to be her Godmother.

Not many people can say they have three homes: one in Charlotte, NC, one in Tisovec, SK, and one in Cayma, Peru. I am thankful not only for the houses I have lived in, but the friends and families I have around the world that have made these places home for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment