'

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

What do you say?

It is day two of my five month stay in Peru, and already I have a favorite experience. Today, one of the many things I got to do was visit the Aldea (the oraphange) in Alto Cayma. The orphanage is run by a Maltese priest named Father Frank. Father Frank has been serving in Alto Cayma since 1990 and in the last two decades, he has done a lot to improve the lives of children in Alto Cayma.

When we arrived at the Aldea, we were greeted by a handful of smiling children. They immediately came over to say hello to Jim and Gloria, and I think they were curious as to who Jim and Gloria had brought with them. The Dunn Family, a mom and dad and two adopted 19 year old Peruvian twins, have been visiting Alto Cayma for the last four days - and they came to the orphanage as well. Kathy (la mama) brought candy and stickers to share with the kids - and before long, there were kids everywhere!

I got know some of the 45 children who live at the Aldea. We played hand clapping games and Gloria and I helped give them temporary tattoos. (Most of the kids wanted to put their tattoo on their face. They asked me if I wanted one on my nariz (nose) - of course, I told them they were crazy. But, they put stickers on my forehead and cheeks anyways.

Some of the younger kids asked me if Kathy was my mother. "No," I told them, "my mother lives in Carolina del Norte." "Why?" one of the girls, Alicia, asked. I thought this was a strange question. So what do I say? "Because my dad needs her." "Ohh," Alicia said. And then all the kids started laughing.

Later, we were introduced to a seven year old named Jose Manuel. Jose has had some serious health problems - he was born without an anus and therefore cannot use the bathroom like other people can. When he went to Lima for surgery, the doctors botched the surgery and accidentally cut his urethra, so now he can no longer urinate like other people can. Jose Manuel has had a difficult time, but you wouldn't know it by looking at him. Dan, Kathy's husband, seemed to connect well Jose. He kept saying, "Man, this kid is tough." I couldn't agree more. Perhaps this is why Dan slipped Jose not one, not two, but THREE starbursts. When Father Frank saw this, he said to Jose, "Que debes decir?" (What should you say?) Jose answered politely, "Gracias." And then, Kathy echoed the same question to her husband Dan, "What do you say?" And Dan answered, "De nada." Talk about a cultral exchange : )

The children at the Aldea play hard. They also live hard. Some of them have overcome many, many obstacles already, and it seems that there are many more waiting for them. I am looking forward to getting to know these kids better in the next five months. Hopefully soon, I will have pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment