'

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Story of The Alpaca

Last week, I had the opportunity to go with Gloria, Jim, the Dunn family, and two men, Victor and Osewaldo to Inca Alpaca, a store that sells clothing and blankets made of Alpaca wool. Interestingly enough, this store also has a very, very small zoo in which customers can walk through to see llamas and alpacas.

After perusing the sale rack, I decided it was time to investigate these animals. Just what was an alpaca anyways? When I walked outside, I was immediately greeted by the bays of a handful of alpacas. Some were black, some were brown --- but they were all really ugly! I think alapacas are oddly shaped. I commented on this to Osewaldo, a native Peruvian. His response, "No Meghan, you are crazy. They are beautiful." Beauty is definitely in the eyes of the beholder.

Here are the alpacas I saw.








I was finishing my viewing of the animals when Gloria called, "Meghan! There's one more!" And sure enough, there was an alpaca sticking his head out between the bars. "Oh," I said, grabbing my camera. I began walking towards the alpaca, and I heard Osewaldo say, "Escupe. Escupe." I didn't know what that meant, so I eagerly continued moving towards the animal for an upclose shot of his face. All of a sudden the alpaca reared back, grunted loudly, and SPIT AT ME. I screamed and grabbed Gloria, who was standing next to me. Everyone busted out laughing.

I learned a very important word in Spanish that day. "Escupe" means "He spits!"

Later in the week, I am happy to say that I ate alpaca. And I enjoyed every bite!

4 comments:

  1. Revenge is sweet or at least tasty. :) We miss you and sorry we didn't connect in the airport on that Sunday. Enjoy and I'm sure Robert will have something to say about a spitting alpaca. :))
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben piensa que sería mejor que se escribió este comentario en español porque no me gusta alpacas. Él está muy molesto, y actualmente está haciendo autostop a Dakota del Norte para pescar en el Océano Pacífico. Sin embargo, la caza de ballenas desde un vehículo en movimiento es ilegal en la Florida, por lo que se ha redirigido a jugar Uno. Hay que ser agradable a la alapacs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. La familia Lewandowski es loco.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great blog site - keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete