'

Friday, October 22, 2010

In Alto Cayma, I am Señorita Meghan

“Good morning Señoriiiiiiiiiiiiita Meghaaaaaaan!”

Every Friday I teach at two different high schools, and these are the words that my students greet me with when I enter the classroom.

“Good morning,” I usually answer them.

Most of the time I enjoy teaching in the high schools in Alto Cayma; although, I have noticed that classroom respect and etiquette is very different than in Slovakia and in the US.

Because of all the people in the Acercandonos sponsorship program, and the students I teach at two high schools, it is a rare thing for me to walk through the streets or ride the combis and not hear, “Hola Senorita Meghan!” from someone. Whenever I see one of my students as I’m walking through the streets in Alto Cayma, it is my habit to speak with him or her in English. I have found that I have two groups of students: one group of students is terrified to speak to me in English. Usually these students will literally run when they see me coming (I usually run after them) or they will hide and as I walk by I hear them whispering, “Shhhh. No quiero hablar ingles!” (Shhh. I don’t want to speak English). Usually, I sneak up behind them with a “Boo!” and “How are you?”

Thankfully, I have a second group of students who love practicing their English with a Gringa.

It is good to be back in a classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment