'

Sunday, June 6, 2010

This one's for Mom

Last week, my students informed me that Monday was Children's Day. "A-ha," I said to them, "and what does this mean?" They answered, "It means, Ms. Large that the whole day is to make children feel special." Apparently Children's Day is the kiddie equivalent of Mother's Day and Father's Day. "You know, we don't have a day like this in the US," I told my students. "I think we need one."

Whenever I was younger, I complained about mothers having a day and fathers having a day, I wanted to know when Kids' Day was. My mother always told me that every day is Kid's Day. Mama, I think this Children's Day is one Slovak tradition we should adopt : ).

My students continued to tell me that since it was Children's Day, they couldn't possibly have a test. These poor students of mine are so confused. Of course, they had their test. I told them they could think of it as my Children's Day gift to them.

While we're talking about holidays, I thought I would share with you a hilarious conversation I had with my students the day after American Mother's Day.

In Old Testament Class, our warm-question, in honor of Mother's Day, was:
Who is your favorite Old Testament mother? Why?

Somehow our conversation evolved into a discussion on mothers and the crazy things mothers say and do. I think some of them may sound familiar. I learned that no matter where you are - Slovakia, North Carolina or Timbuktu, mothers are mothers.

It seems that American mothers do not have a monopoly on "I'll think about it" and "We'll see." When my students announced that their mothers will often say this to them, I asked them to tell me what these statements really mean. My students responses: no chance, unlikely, impossible. In other words: "I'll think about it" and "We'll see" are universal, not-so-secret mother codes for "no."

One student shared with me that her mother counts when she's frustrated with him. "One," she'll say holding up a finger. "Two," she continues, holding up the second finger. "What happens when she gets to three?" I asked my student. "I don't know," he answered, "I don't let her get that far." I laughed. Moms do have some serious power.

Perhaps the funniest thing that one of my more ornery students shared was that her mother will say to her, "I hope you have a child exactly like you!" This was (and still is) one of my own mother's most fervant wishes for me. When I said this to my students, they busted out laughing. "Oh Miss Large! Your poor mother."

"Ziaci," I told them, "We have a saying about mothers in America, and it goes like this: 'If mom ain't happy... ain't nobody happy.' Is this rule true for families in Slovakia?" My students again started laughing and nodding their heads, "Yes! We know that rule!" they said.

My favorite mom story is, of course, about my own mother. One day when I was in high school, Lauren and I were enjoying a teacher work day --- which, means we get to sleep in and play all day. Unfortunately, my parents still had to work. Both my mom and dad are early risers because they work early shifts, and this day was no exception. Unfortunately, neither Lauren nor I got a lot of sleep. Dad was puttering around the kitchen - and like most dads, my dad does not putter quietly. He bellowed for our dog Ivan, doors creaked, and cabinets slammed. From across the house, my mother, who was in the bathroom getting ready, heard the commotion. "Mark," she yelled, "Don't slam the cabinets. You're gonna wake the girls!"

"Mothers are strange creatures," I told my students seriously when I told them this story. They snickered.

In honor of Mother's Day last month, Father's Day next week and every day that is Kid's Day, let's say thanks be to God for moms, dads, and families.

4 comments:

  1. you don´t have the children´s day? and it´s called international children´s day here :D
    but we don´t celebrate the father´s day really...
    anyway, my mom often says to me, she wishes me kids like me :D

    and...how could you give a test to your students on a children´s day? =) that´s cruel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someday you will be material for your children. Proverbs 30:17 mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey. You didn't show how many days until you visited your favorite family in Harrisburg?

    ReplyDelete
  4. We all know how afraid Phillip was that I would get to three. Phillip - "I could get to 54 and no one would care - she gets to two and everyone has a fit." Glad to be on the countdown.
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete