'

Thursday, October 1, 2009

A Lot to Think About

My fourth year students have given me a lot to think about. In our Reformation class last thursday, we finished the lesson with about five minutes to spare. I asked the students to look over their homework for the next class and ask any questions that they may have. While I was putting my notes and attendance sheets away, I heard a couple of kids start snickering. They were looking out the window at one of the main streets in Tisovec. I ignored them until one student called out, "Ms. Large! Look out the window and you can see a gypsy digging in the trash." You cannot live in Tisovec for a day without seeing the gypsies (also called Roma) pilfering through the dumpsters that line the streets. I responded to this student by saying something like, "You must not have any questions about the reading I have assigned. I hope you're going to get a good grade on the quiz next class." A few minutes later, the whole class erupted in laughter. "Miss Large," I hear. "The gyspy fell in the garbage."


I walked to the window and looked out. Sure enough, a boy between the ages of 8 to 10 had fallen into the dumpster just across the street. I really wasn't sure how to handle this. I figured when it doubt, just be honest. "Guys," I said quietly, "I don't think this is funny.  I know you have strong feelings about the gypsies, but you will never laugh at or mock someone who is hurt or in need of help in my class."
I told my students that I know only a little bit about this situation, and I shared with them that I wanted to know what they thought and felt. I listened as, one by one, each student said things like: "The gypsies are lazy - they don't come to work on time, if they come at all;" "They don't make their children go to school, and there is no law to force them;" "They abuse the welfare system by having a lot of kids just so they can get extra money from the government;" "I'm sick of the Slovak government giving them second chances;" "The gypsies are liars and thieves."
Some of what I have read has corrolated with what my students were saying. The gypsies do have trouble keeping a steady job. In some Roma boroughs, the employment rate is 100%. Many of the children are uneducated. They do depend on the welfare checks they get each month, and the Roma are notorious pickpockets. I told my students that I heard what they were saying, but now what I wanted to hear from them was why they thought that some of the Roma communities had these problems and whether or not they thought that the Slovaks could have contributed to the tension between them and the Roma. I also told my students that this was a topic I wanted to learn much more about and that I would do more reading and research and have more conversations with different people so that I might begin to understand some of the cultural dynamics at work here. Then I shared with them that I would like very much to go to a gypsy village. (The ELCA is committed to facilitating the cooperation of our Roma brothers and sisters and our Slovak brothers and sisters. There are many young adult missionaries who stationed in Roma villages across Slovakia, and I am hoping to visit one of them to learn more.)

Two days after this conversation, I was able to visit a world-famous gypsy ghetto in Kosice called Lunik 9.  The pictures I discreetly took from the safety of our car speak for themselves.





The gypsies in Lunik live without electricity and running water.  The Lunik apartment buildings contain triple their maximum capacity of three thousand occupants.  The gypsies' yards and homes appear to be extensions of the dumpsters that lined the streets of this borough.
Within minutes of our arrival, it was made clear to us that we were unwelcome visitors.  Young people made vulgar gestures at our car, and adults stared at us with open contempt.  Mistrust and hostility were as real and as tangible as the person sitting next to me in the car.  
I have been chewing on my thoughts and feelings from this trip to Lunik all week.  I don't think I know enough about the context and history of the Roma people in Slovakia to fairly and objectively discuss the Roma tensions with my students.  I am, however, willing and eager to listen to their thoughts and feelings.  It is my hope that through these conversations, my students will be inspired not only to listen to each other but to think critically and step outside of their own opinons and consider this situation from other points of view.  I guess we all have a lot to think about.
For anyone who is interested in more information about the Roma, this is an interesting article from the Slovak Specktator, the English newspaper in Slovakia.


1 comment:

  1. Your comments on the Roma are very interesting. The newspaper article was most informative. Again, another situation that we Americans have no idea existed. Will be interested to what you learn about the Roma and what the ELCA is able to do. A trip to one of their villages would be very interesting and I'd love to hear more.
    Take of yourself and thanks for the "blog".
    Cathy & Bill
    Advent Lutheran

    ReplyDelete