'

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

I Couldn't Resist...

In my first year class, my students and I have been working on vocabulary and phrases related to celebrations. We have discussed baby showers, birthday parties, award ceremonies, weddings, graudations, retirements, etc. They have enjoyed learning about American traditions, and I've enjoyed sharing stories and customs with them. This week, the students were completing an exercise in which they matched a remark with a particular celebration. I asked my students, "Someone said, 'Well done! You played brilliantly!' What might this person be commenting on?" One of my students answered, "A football game." Another student answered, "A piano recital." Then, I asked my students, "Someone said, 'Wow! When's the big day?' What might this person be commenting on?" The students agreed. This person would be commenting on a couple's engagement. Finally, I asked my students, "Someone said, 'Congratulations! You worked hard for it.' What might this person be celebrating?" No one raised his or her hand. So, I called on Fizzo. "Fizzo," I asked. "Congratulations! You worked hard for it! What could this person be talking about?" Fizzo looked at me. He shrugged and said, "Baby?"

3 comments:

  1. Cathy spoke with your Mom last Sunday. She filled us in on some of your travel plans. We did Rome in '95; turned backwards and threw our coins into the Trevi fountain to assure our return. We know that you will enjoy it as much as we did; I know which window to Pope uses! We especially remember a "rug" that is on the wall on the entry way to the Sistine Chapel. It is a picture of Jesus with his foot on a log. His eyes will follow you everywhere - oh the memories!
    I'm doing fine and almost back to my pre-eposide self. We ran away last week and went to Cherokee and Gatlinburg; hadn't been there is 25+ years. Little late for the fall colors but we still enjoyed.
    Please keep up the work on the "blog". We really enjoy hearing from you. We will miss you for Thanksgiving.
    Take care!
    Cathy & Bill
    Advent Lutheran

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Meghan! The culture there is incredible! It seems you are having fabulous time in Slovakia. I've enjoyed myself reading about your interesting and some weird, adventures. When I read this part I just cracked up. I couldn't help myself! I also enjoyed the Micheal Jackson bit. He's alive but dead, eh? He didn't do the moon walk, which was what I was looking forward to but it was very entertaining. Well I know you'll having more hysterical stories to tell. There is only one thing I am worried about. I hope you won't become bored once you come back to the USA.
    Sincerely,
    your cousin, Kate

    ReplyDelete