'

Friday, November 27, 2009

God is Great. God is Good. Let us Thank Him...

Yesterday was my first Thanksgiving away from home. In Slovaia, Thanksgiving is just a regular Thursday. We had school and classes just like we normally would. I began every class I had by saying in an excited voice, “Good morning Ziaci (pupils). Today in the United States is Thanksgiving. (The students already knew this.) And right now, my family is sleeping (remember that I am six hours ahead of the East coast). But in a few hours, they will be awake. My mom and dad will be getting Thanksgiving lunch together, and if I were in Charlotte, I would be running the 8K Turkey Trot and I would be wearing a shirt that says, ‘I run so I Can Eat.’ Then, I would come home, shower and have Thanksgiving lunch with my family. We will take a nap after the meal and then go see a movie at the theater together.” I ended this description by saying, “BUT I’m not in Slovakia… I am here… with you” (And I fake glared at them). “On Thanksgiving," I told them,"people will often tell others what they are most thankful for. This year, ziaci, I am thankful for you. I very much like being your teacher, and I am so happy that you are my students.” My students grinned, and I smiled back. Then, I told them I had a Thanksgiving present for them –and I hoped they would be thankful for it. “Please put everything away and take out a piece of paper and a pencil,” I said. You know, I don’t think any of them were thankful for the pop quiz.

It seems strange to hear about people back home preparing to travel to the houses of their friends and families for turkey, football and the Macy’s Day Parade. Black Friday is definitely worlds away from our small town where out only stores are grocery shops and corner drug stores. Thankfully, the American teachers here have two opportunities to celebrate Thanksgiving. Last Saturday, we traveled to Bratislava to meet with other missionaries from Slovakia, Poland and Austria. We each prepared our best Thanksgiving dish --- and it was wonderful to eat AMERICAN food!!! Our table was overflowing with turkey, casseroles, mashed potatoes, fruit salad, and pies (PUMPKIN PIE!). It was good to gather with other Americans to laugh and share a meal.

Then for dinner on Thanksgiving day, the American teachers at Tisovec were invited by our Slovak colleagues to celebrate a Slovak-American Thanksgiving. We met at Central, a Slovak restaurant across from the school for a Slovak meal. The Bishop, the Church Inspector and the mayor joined us. We ate turkey, mashed potatoes (Slovak style), green beans, stuffing (with liver), and cranberry yogurt. It might not have been mom’s cooking, but it was still a feast for the record books.

Spending Thanksgiving in another country has helped to remind me that Thanksgiving is not a day – but instead, it is a lifestyle. Whether I am in the United States or in Slovakia, I have so much for which to be thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment