'

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Operation Tardy Wall Paper

This week I have had a minor problem with tardy students. None of my students have been outrageously tardy - but some of them have a habit of walking in just after the bell has rung. Usually, these students are full of apologies, "Sorry, Ms. Teacher," they say. For the first two or three classes, I didn't think anything of it. I simply told them to take a seat and begin their warm-ups. Yet, as time passed, I began to see a trend. A small group of students were always a little late. I have decided that they either chronic problem OR they do not understand how the bells work - they must think that the bell means it's time to start walking to class. Either way, I've decided to help them. They need to come to class on time.

This is the plan I developed this week.  If you are late to my class you have an additional assignment - you must either write sentences ("I will not be late to class" twenty times) or, if you are 4th or 5th year students, you must write a paragraph explaining why you were late.

I have shared with my classes that I will be putting these sentences and paragraphs to good use. I'm going to hang their papers on my kitchen wall and use them for wall paper. Therefore, if you come late to class, you will help decorate my apartment. The students thought this was hilarious.  Until they owed me wallpaper.  

  
Whenever a student is tardy to my class, I usually call out his or her name as they walk in. "Janka," I say, "You are late to my class. You must have lost your mind! You can't come late to my class. You owe me wall paper." The next class, when Janka turns in her sentences or paragraph explanation, I usually smile at her and say, “Thanks for the wall paper, but do not come late to my class again.”

Two of the fifth year students arrived late to one of my classes – so, of course, they owed me wall paper. I laughed out loud when I finally got around to reading their paragraphs. These two students have a strong sense of drama. For your reading pleasure, I thought I would share with you what they wrote.  (Please note: These paragraphs are written as I received them – grammar mistakes and all. The Slovak language does not have articles – “a,” “an,” or “the,” so the students struggle with these in English.)

This is from Dusan –
“Why I was late:
Yesterday I came to class a little bit later. I would try to explain why I did it. First I was in buffet. Then when I bought smoething to eat, I went to first floor. There I sat and was talking to Domca. I didn’t looked on time it was. That was the fault. And then it happened. The bell starts ringing. In second, we were on our feet and started running up stairs. We knew that we are going to be late. I was really sorry about that. It was the first and last time it happens.”

Then, this paragraph is from Domca, Dusan’s friend who also came late to class that day –

“Yes, I was late yesterday. But, why? I was sitting on the bench and I was talking with Dusan. I told Dusan, “It is going to ring.” But he was still sitting. Suddenly, the bell rang. I was in shock and I was running to the class. But you were already there. Next time I won’t be late again.”

I get such a kick out my students!

So far, I think Operation Tardy Wall Paper is working – on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, I assigned a LOT of wall paper, but I did not have to assign any at all on Thursday or Friday. I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

2 comments:

  1. That is awesome!! I LOVE your wallpaper idea :) I'm glad your students have started showing up on time!!
    ~Sarah E~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea on the wall paper. We're enjoying your "blogs". How did the eye turn out - all better? How about an updte on the "panty hose" issue. Looked up a map on Slovaka and couldn't find Tisovec.
    Glad you are making some trips - wish You the best on them.
    take care and know you're loved!
    Cathy & Bill
    Advent

    ReplyDelete