'

Thursday, September 24, 2009

A Joke on the Teacher

My students in Tisovec have come to expect Ms. Large to be a little bit different than their other teachers. I have very high expectations, but I love to be silly with the kids. Most of the time, I tell my students that they are “sassy,” or “out of control” whenever they answer a question correctly, get a good grade or correct each other’s English. They know that these adjectives are high praise. Last week, I taught the kids “fiesty” because two of my students got into a heated, academic debate about a story in the Old Testament. Most of the time, my fiesty students are quite impressive.

Today, I walked into my second class before the bell rang. Immediately, I noticed that the entire class was already in the classroom. They were also snickering. I took note of this but ignored them and continued over to the window to open it for ventilation. Only a minute passed but by this time, my students were giggling. I smiled at them and wrinkled my nose, “Alright. What’s so funny?” I asked. This question got chortles of laughter. I made a face at them and asked them if they had lost their minds. Then I turned around. On the white board one of the kids had written: “Are all the southern belles as fiesty as Miss Large?” I burst out laughing, and told them I was impressed that they knew the phrase “southern belle.” Then, I said, “I am SO erasing this. You guys are out of control.” Sadly, which ever sassy student had written this comment on the board did not use a whiteboard marker. Instead, he or she used a regular marker. The comment did not wipe off no matter how hard I tried to erase it. Seeing this, my students collapsed into hysteria. See, I told you I had sassy students!

By the end of the day most of the school had heard what my second year students did. I have been called a “fiesty southern belle” all day.

2 comments:

  1. "Fiesty Southern Belle" is wonderful and it could play into Christmas presents!
    How's the wall paper project coming along? Cathy and her daughter are joining Mona Ingolia, Pamela Brady, Diane Jowers for a Lutheran "Wild Women's Week-end" at Myrtle Beach; they tell me that they are going some form a girl's religion study - yeah, right!
    Stay well!
    Cathy & Bill
    Advent

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fiesty Southern Belle. Perfect even though those of us who are born and bred Southerners might find a few "non-southern" things about ya. We miss you gal. Enjoying the blog and watching a little Archie for you. Take care!
    Bless your heart!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete