'

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

FNL Update

A couple of months ago, I shared with you that the American teachers hosted a Tuesday night Bible Study and Devotion based on the TV show, Friday Night Lights. We have continued this Bible Study over the last few months, and it seems that everyone (teachers and students) have fallen in love with it. Every Tuesday, students will run into my office or catch other teachers on the stairs asking, “Friday Night Lights is tonight, right?” On Wednesdays, I have caught students' conversations outside my office in which they are discussing what happened the night before – or in which they are filling someone in on the episode he or she missed.

We have tackled a lot of serious issues via this series. Together, we have discussed trust, waiting, parents, prejudice, friendships, confession and forgiveness. The girls who come to FNL are willing and even eager to talk about anything – but particularly life and faith. (Next week, our topic is sex and relationships – prayers are appreciated!)

For me, Tuesdays are a trip into my US-Life – the one in which planning and leading Bible studies is part of my full-time job. On Tuesdays, it always hits me how much I miss working in a church. Friday Night Lights has been an important part of my own faith journey in Slovakia. At times, Slovakia can seem like a spiritually dry place --- but on Tuesday nights, I am reminded of the many ways in which God is alive and working in Tisovec.

I am proud of the ministry we have been doing on Tuesdays. I am even more proud of the girls who come to Bible study and the ways in which they open themselves up to each other, to God and to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment